Thursday, August 14, 2008

Coffins in Cuba



I was taking pictures along the Malecon one day when a taxi driver or somebody, I can't remember who, referred to an apartment building there with a peculiar nickname: The Coffins.

I didn't understand what the guy was talking about until I looked more closely at the building. Sure enough, the windows facing the Malecon are surrounded by what look like little coffins. Some are right side up. Others are upsidedown. At least that's what they look like if you use your imagination.

Here are two photos of the building, one shot from a distance, the other a tighter view. See what I mean about the coffins?

4 comments:

muapurses said...

Alguien me dijo un dia cuando pasaba por el malecon que el arquitecto encargado de disenar el edificio perdio a su hija de 15 anos y por eso en cada piso represento un ataud por cada ano de vida de la hija.

Tracey Eaton said...

Thanks - that sheds some light on the mystery of why the building seems to have all those little coffins attached to it. What an interesting story. I wonder if anyone knows the name of the architect.

professorP said...

according to my friend Julio César, the architect is Alberto Prieto.

Tracey Eaton said...

Thanks to professorp for the name of the architect - Alberto Prieto