Saturday, August 30, 2008

The Fidel stare: Here's looking at you, kid


Ever get the funny feeling someone is looking right at you? That's what I thought after seeing this picture on my computer screen.
I figured the Cuban leader was thinking, "Hey, I thought we got rid of you."
I had left Cuba in 2005 when the Dallas Morning News closed the bureau there. I returned a year later while on assignment for the Houston Chronicle, whose foreign editor Chris Shively considered the Cuba story to be important. I took this picture in July 2006 during one of Fidel Castro's last public appearances.

2 comments:

sleepingiant said...

This is picture is priceless.

Tracey Eaton said...

Yeah, I like it, too.
I did meet Fidel once so I think he might know my face. Then again, I'm sure he had much more to worry about than a pesky journalist.