Sunday, November 23, 2008

My Cuba photo archive: Digging into the old shoebox and finding a nasty surprise

I have an archive of tens of thousands of photographs that I have shot in Cuba over the past 14 years. Almost all the photos taken since 2001 are digital images. But most of the photos taken from 1994 to 2000 are 35 mm color negative images. I recently discovered that many of the negatives are deteriorating. Probably to blame are bouts of high humidity and chemically unstable plastic negative sleeves.

Many negatives are damaged beyond repair. The good news is that I just acquired a color negative scanner, so I am going to begin to scan the negatives. It's a tedious process and it'll take some time. But at least I'll be able to save a good share of the images.

Above is a negative I just scanned at 4,800 dpi. I shot the picture at a military parade in Havana in December 1994. It's a large file, as are most of the photos on this blog. That way, if anyone wants to print a photo or use it as computer wallpaper, it looks better. (Apologies to those who don't have fast connection speeds).

2 comments:

Mambi_Watch said...

Tracey,

Thanks always for sharing your work with your readers. And congratulations on your fine work over the years.

Tracey Eaton said...

Gracias, Mambi Watch.