Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Behind the scenes at Generación Y

A name that starts with Y

Yoani Sanchez went well beyond her usual three-paragraph post to explain how she manages to publish her blog and who from outside Cuba helps her.
The blogger's carefully worded 2,850-word piece appeared in Penúltimos Días on Jan. 19 and is called Generación Y: el making of.
The story explains the role of Josef Biechele, who some of us Cuba watchers have written about and speculated about. I mentioned Biechele here, for instance.
Sanchez says she has used some of her money from international awards to pay for Internet access in Cuba. And she makes no apologies for earning money from freelance pieces that appear in such publications as TAZ in Germany, Poder magazine in the United States and Imprensa in Brazil.
I think Sanchez is wise to explain how her blog is produced, who is behind it and where she gets some of her foreign support.
Her foes in the Cuban government will not be satisfied, I'm sure. They'll continue to push the idea that she's a foreign-paid "mercenary," a view that I don't believe given the facts I've seen so far.
Anyway, Sanchez does a good job explaining what goes on behind the scenes at Generación Y. Her piece doesn't answer all the questions. She has at least one key supporter who goes unnamed in her piece. She doesn't reveal all the details about her mobile phone and her finances, details that wouldn't even come up in most countries of the world. In fact, if her blog had advertising, I'm sure it could easily pay for itself.
I am curious about the timing of Sanchez' piece. I wonder if she is revealing these details now as a kind of preemptive strike because she thinks Cuban authorities are about to take action against her.
Link:
Along the Malecon's Yoani & digital revolt page

3 comments:

Pedro Garcia Millan said...

ALERTA TODO TERITORIO MEXICANO-MUY IMPORTANTE:

La estafa automotriz MAS grande en Morelia, Michoacan, Mexico. Porfavor, tengan mucho cuidado y NO hagan negocios con www.expoautos.con.mx y www.globalbit.con.mx porque lo que parece barrato te va salir carrisimo! A veces una onza de prevencion sale mejor que creer a un tipo llamado Omar Garcia Millan y sus promesas que nunca se cumplen.

PARA MAS INFORMACION SOBRE LA ESTAFA VISITEN:


http://pedromillan.blogspot.com/


PIENSATELO ANTES DE HACER NEGOCIOS CON ESTE LUGAR!!

Y GET EDUCATED ON THE MOLOCH AXIS DEMONIACS:

http://www.infowars.com/

Gracias

Cuba Journal said...

To the question "Is Yoani Sanchez a paid mercenary of the U.S." I have to answer: "I don't know." But I would have to add that I would not be surprised if she is.

Is she actively supporting people who would like to turn the Cuban clock back to the era before January 1, 1959?

"ABSOLUTELY"

To me, Yoani is nothing but a Niña malcriada.

Tracey Eaton said...

Cuba Journal,
Thanks for your comment. I don't know the answer to the question, either. I guess we'll have to see how things develop. Tracey