Tuesday, March 16, 2010

March issue of CubaNews is out

The March issue of CubaNews was published on March 15. It contains a story I wrote about Vicki Huddleston, the former chief of the U.S. Interests Section in Havana.
Huddleston headed the Interests Section from 1999 to 2002. She and Carlos Pascual, now the U.S. ambassador to Mexico, recently wrote a new book, "Learning to Salsa: New Steps in U.S.-Cuba Relations."
Huddleston and Pascual suggest that U.S. officials take unilateral steps to engage Cuba as part of a strategy that would gradually lead toward the normalization of relations.
Huddleston told me that unless U.S. policy toward Cuba changes, there is a risk "that Cuba will evolve without us." Then, "when change really comes" to Cuba, "we will be inconsequential."
CubaNews also reprinted portions of an Along the Malecon post called, "A correspondent's life: What the heck was I complaining about?" A section of a Reporters without Borders report is inadvertently reproduced in the CubaNews report as if I wrote it. Just to clarify, I'm including an image of the report below to show the section of the report that referred to in my post, but didn't write.

No comments: