Thursday, November 11, 2010

Hurricane Tomas Storm makes waves in Cuba






It looks to me like this splash was at least 25 feet high. 

I shot these photos from just outside the Riviera hotel at around 4 p.m. on Nov. 5.
Conditions were much worse that morning. I was filing a story at the time and wondering if my Internet connection would hold up - it did.
There were high winds and rain. A taxi driver told me two boys were killed in the surf near the 1830 Restaurant. I wasn't able to confirm that, but watched as civil defense authorities closed off parts of the Malecon and broadcast warnings to residents from government vehicles.
I glanced at El Morro at one point and saw a splash that reached more than halfway up the lighthouse. I don't know if it was an optical illusion or if the water was really that high, but it was dramatic.

Hurricane Tomas is shown in the center of the photo. The bad weather that hit Havana was the result of a cold front, a reader told me, not Hurricane Tomas as I originally reported. It looks like clouds from the cold front can be seen at upper left in the photo.

According to NASA, "The MODIS instrument on NASA's Terra Satellite captured this visible image of Hurricane Tomas over Haiti, Cuba, Jamaica, and the Dominican Republic at 15:30 UTC (11:30 a.m. EDT) on Nov. 5."

2 comments:

Carlos said...

It was a strong cold front that day, not Tomas.

Tracey Eaton said...

Carlos,
thanks for supplying that correction. Tracey