Saturday, November 20, 2010

Universidad de Santo Tomás de Villanueva then and now

Aerial photo of Villanueva taken from 1957 yearbook

Inside the church

One of my colleagues is a relative of the late Rev. John Kelly, former rector at la Universidad de Santo Tomás de Villanueva along Quinta Avenida in Havana.
The university is now a school for computer science students, but the church is closed.
I shot photos of the church a few weeks ago and am posting them here, along with some old photos of the church that I took from a 1957 Villanueva yearbook.
It looks like the cross is missing from the top of the church. I wonder what happened to that.
I am interested in talking to anyone who attended Villanueva before or around the time Fidel Castro took power. Please e-mail me if you attended or know someone who did and would like to share your memories of the school for a story. I'm also interested in knowing if there is talk or plans of someday reopening or restoring the church.


Isabel said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Isabel said...

My father taught at the university up to the time of the revolution. I believe he was the head of the psychology department. He is now deceased. His name is Leopoldo Barroso. I hope to travel to Cuba very soon and would love to visit Villanueva. My father always spoke fondly of his years there. Isabel Almonte

Tracey Eaton said...

Good luck, Isabel. I hope you are able to visit Villanueva. Saludos, Tracey

David Flynn said...

Tracey my parents were students at Villanova in the 1950s when Fidel was at the U Nacional. I want to visit what is left of Villanueva for sentimental reasons. Please contact me by email.

Nada Humano me es Ajeno said...

I was a junior student of Chemical Engineering when the Ley 11 eventually ended the life of the University of Villanueva. It had a formidable faculty with professors like Manuel Suárez Carreño, José Antonio de La Vega, Julio Pita and many others. All my classmates went into exile in 1961 and had very successful careers in the US. The loss of the University and the human talent it educated can never be recovered. The University had been founded in 1946 and declared Pontifical University in 1956. Its prestige was similar to the great american universities of the times. We had no problems joining and competing with full fledged american university standards. What a pity and a loss to Cuba.

Search to Learn said...

My father, Felipe Gomez Albarran taught architecture courses.

I am trying to gather bits and pieces of information. Anything will be helpful!