Wednesday, March 23, 2011

U.S. government will spend $30 million for Internet freedom projects

Boys along the Malecon

Grants of $500,000 to $8 million each are up for grabs for Internet freedom projects in Cuba and other countries, a State Department notice says. In all, about $30 million is available. Please see details at the Cuba Money Project.
Also, a State Department employee today said the agency plans to deny my Dec. 28, 2010, request for information about private contractors who applied for $3.65 million project aimed at expanding Cuban civic participation and leadership.
I asked the employee to provide a written justification for the denial because I plan to file an appeal. I'll post updates at the Cuba Money Project's FOIA Tracker as I have more details in case there are any Freedom of Information Act experts out there who would like to give me any tips.

No comments: