Saturday, May 14, 2011

Interview with Cuban blogger Claudia Cadelo

Claudia Cadelo

Claudia Cadelo is the creator of the blog, Octavo Cerco. Her friend and mentor is award-winning blogger Yoani Sanchez.
See a 22-minute interview with Cadelo on the Cuba Money Project's Vimeo channel
Cadelo displays her ID card on her blog, which to me is a statement of openness and transparency. Sanchez posted a photo of her own ID in one of her first posts on Generacion Y.


Emilio Santoro said...

Hey Professor Eaton,

I just saw your interview to Claudia and I thought it was great. I never knew that cubans used the internet as an underground way of communicating ideas freely. I hope you are having a great summer.

keep on rocking in the free world!

Tracey Eaton said...

Gracias, Emilio. Espero que tenga buen verano tambien. Tracey Eaton

Rich Haney said...

The long interview with Claudia Cadelo mostly emphasizes an annoying aspect of the Cuban Revolution in vogue since 1959: If you hold up your hand, ala Frank Calzon, etc., and say "I'm anti-Castro so how much money do I get" than the tendency of the U. S. government is to say "How much do you want?;" and if an anti-Castro writer/blogger holds up his/her hand and says "I'm anti-Castro so how much space do I get in your publication?" than U. S. entities such as newspapers, the Huffington Post, Along the Malecon, etc., say "How much space do you want?" I believe there should be some other criteria than just saying you're "anti-Castro" to get rich and famous. But, hey, I certainly recognize that an endless money- and-fame spigot in a capitalist world will not just up and go away...not even when the Castro brothers die of old age. Anti-Castroism has produced billionaires like Jorge Mas Canosa and millionaires like Calzon, Reich, Noriega, etc., and that system is engraved in the politics and media of this country, spawning a lot of would-be benefactors like Claudia. One-trick ponys properly publicized can quickly amass fame and fortune in this electronic age and I don't begrude Claudia for taking advantage of the world we live in. But she does come across as being more anti-Castro than pro-Cuba.