Sunday, December 25, 2011

State Department's Cuba spending hits $200 million

The State Department has spent $200,826,000 on Cuba programs since 1997, according to Just the Facts, a civilian's guide to U.S. defense and security assistance to Latin America and the Caribbean.
Some critics have questioned the efficiency of the Cuba programs, most of which are managed by the U.S. Agency for International Development.
I've been trying to obtain copies of audits of these programs. My effort that isn't related to Just the Facts, but I cite that website's statistics to give you an idea how much money is spent on these programs.
Federal records show that USAID paid a Washington, D.C., firm at least $1.47 million to audit the agency's Cuba programs.
In March 2011, I requested a copy of the audit results through the Freedom of Information Act, or FOIA. USAID replied earlier this month, sending me a heavily redacted 10-page report.
See more about my FOIA request and download the report here.

No comments: