Thursday, March 15, 2012

Two Freedom House-USAID contracts destroyed

The Agency for International Development, or USAID, said it cannot release two contracts that the agency had with Freedom House. The reason: The records have been destroyed.
I requested the contracts and others under the Freedom of Information Act, or FOIA. USAID said:
Those contract files were destroyed according to Federal Acquisition Regulation (FAR) 4.805, Storage, Handling, and Disposal of Contract Files.
I have the right to appeal the ruling. Anyone have any thoughts on that?
Since December 2010, I have sent USAID and the State Department more than 100 letters requesting documents related to U.S. government democracy programs in Cuba. So far, I haven't gotten much in return.
The oldest pending FOIA request that I've filed is 1 year and 1 day old. See more about the FOIA requests here.

No comments: