|BBG contracts (1983-2014)|
Total payments came to $69,259,200. That included:
- $50,820,751, or 73 percent, to named contractors
- $9,460,500, or 14 percent, to undisclosed foreign awardees
- $8,977,949, or 13 percent, to undisclosed foreign contractors
The BBG oversees the Office of Cuba Broadcasting, which runs Radio & TV Martí in Miami.
To come up with the totals, I analyzed 17,868 transactions carried out from 1983, when Radio Martí was founded, through today.
I looked only for payments to independent artists, writers and performers, which includes a range of professionals, including producers, recording technicians, speakers, journalists and others.
The payments to unnamed foreign awardees and contractors totaled $18,438,449.
The top five named vendors linked to Radio & TV Martí appear to be:
- Applied Memetics: $945,664
- Orlando Gonzalez Esteva: $214,330
- Lizandra Diaz: $176,050
- Rene Lopez: $176,027
- Juan J. Almeida: $174,605