I quickly learned what photos didn't make it into the top spots. They included:
- Carnival dancers in skimpy outfits.
- Cuban snipers marching with a Soviet rifle.
- The late CIA agent Philip Agee standing on his balcony overlooking Havana.
- A Cuban woman chomping a huge cigar.
- Fidel Castro drinking tea with his pinkie raised, and
- Che Guevara sitting on the potty.
Full-sized, unedited photo of Chuli
I shot the photo with a Sony digital camera in January 2004 while doing a story on the rising popularity of tattoos in Cuba.
Chuli was sleeping on a white plastic chair at a tattoo parlor in Havana. The parlor's head honcho - and possibly owner of the dog - was Junior Perez, my notes show.
I've never been able to make out the dog's tattoo. At one time, I thought it was a pistol. Now I'm not so sure. Maybe it's the face of a dog - and those shapes on either side are the ears. What do you think?
It's not doggie porn, silly. It's a tattoo
The photos of Chuli appeared here on Oct. 1, 2009. The next most popular photo pages - not including subject indexes - were:
Source: Google Analytics